Sunday, February 26, 2017

Tips For Starting A Blog

Blogging is a great way to get your content out to the world. I started Living Light and Breezy almost two years ago. I started blogging because of my passion for creating healthy recipes. I wanted to get the recipes I create out for people to read and try.

Starting a blog may seem a bit daunting, but it does not have to be. By looking back on my experience as a blogger I will give you my top five steps for starting a blog.

1.Choose A Blogging Platform
This one may seem a little straightforward, but there are many options when choosing a blogging platform. Living Light and Breezy is hosted on Blogger. I love how straightforward Blogger is. For my business Engaged Media Solutions I use Wix. Wix is my new found love. Wix is easy to use and I love all the customization options it offers.

Check out this comparison chart of the best blogging platforms to find the best blogging platform for you.

2. Pick A Simple Theme
The theme is going to be the bones of your entire blog. A good theme will allow you to get the right feel you are wanting for your blog, while still allowing you to customize and make your blog exactly how you want it.

When choosing a theme make sure that it offers high readability for your views. Some things to keep in mind are simple fonts such as Arial, Courier, Verdana, and Times New Roman, white spaces that allow the reader to give their eyes a break, and make sure to double space your paragraphs rather than indent.

3.Make The Blog Your Own
Personally, this is my favorite step. When building my blogs I spent hours modifying and making my blog exactly how I wanted it. During this step take as much time as you need to customize your blog and make the blog your own. While I was customizing my blog I found it helpful to look at blogs I loved for inspiration.

4.Add Plugins To Your Blog
Plugins are a must for your blog.They help to extend and expand the functionality of your blog. I like to use Google Analytics and Social Media share-button plugins on my blog. A simple Google search can give you a great list of plugins for the type of blog you are creating. 


5. Start Writing
Now that your blog is set up it is time to start writing compelling content for your readers. During this step make sure to add sections such as an About Page, Contact Page, and Archives Page.

To find compelling topics to write about I like to keep a notebook with me at all times, so when I have an idea I just write it down. I have more tips on how to actually start writing for your blog, but I think I will save them for another post. :) 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment